The Beethoven Club of Memphis is proud to announce the inauguration of the Las and Sara Savell Vocal Competition. It is designed to provide financial awards and professional encouragement to singers from Tennessee, Mississippi, and Arkansas between the ages of 19 and 28.
- First Prize $1000
- Second Prize $300
- Third Prize $200
- Competition is open to classical singers who have completed a minimum of two semester of college study in voice in an accredited music department.
- Applicants must be ages 19-28 on October 15, 2015.
- Deadline for entry and payment of entry fee is September 15, 2015, 11:00 p.m.
- Applicants must be prepared to perform three works from standard literature each representing different style periods (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionistic, or Contemporary.) One must be in a language other than English. All selections must be memorized.
- The application must be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from a recent voice teacher. These letters must be sent directly from the teacher’s email address to email@example.com. The message subject line should be: Savell Competition – [name of applicant]
- Application forms are will be online. Each application form must be accompanied by a non-refundable application fee of $35.
- On the application form applicants music include a link to an online recording of one of their selections. It may be either audio or video (YouTube, SoundCloud, .mp3, etc.)
- Up to 15 finalists will be selected to come to the Beethoven Club for the final round of judging which will take place at the Beethoven Club, 263 S. McLean, Memphis, TN on Saturday, October 17 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Those accepted into the final round should be prepared to be available throughout that time period. Finalists will be notified by Thursday, October 1, 2015.
- Finalists must provide their own pianists.
- Winners will be announced at the end of the day.
Judges will be: Sara Savell, Dr. Sharon Mabry, and Thomas Barrett.
Applicants will be judged on beauty of voice, technical skill, musicality, accuracy, and presentation.